Last Saturday, we decided to dig into our redneck roots and have a race day. It started with a trip down to FedEx where the station had Denny Hamlin's show car for the day. The kids got some stickers and a poster for free. We bought me a new Denny shirt and the family got a 3'x5' Denny flag. We plan to use the flag when we go camping to hook to our camper. I told you we were a little redneck!
The next part of the race day was to head to Meridian Speedway for some good ol' short track racing. We invited Amanda, Loy, and Dayton to join us.
Let me just make a note. Jake has hit the age where he no longer likes to be in front of the camera. I tried to get him to look, but he wouldn't.
This is a 12 year old girl that races in the junior (12-14 year olds) class. Ellie thought that she was awesome and we had to get a picture with her! She was very petite like Ellie and so we wondered how she could reach the pedals in the car. A quick look inside would give us the answer. She had wood blocks taped to the pedals and two pillows on the seat, one to raise her up and the other to push her forward!!!
This is the second of the three women drivers. Ellie wanted her autograph. Most of the drivers had photos that they signed and handed out to people but this girl was all out. So Ellie asked me if she could sign her shirt. At first I said no. Ellie turned to me and with some attitude said, "You know how old I am mom." After all, she is 8 1/2 and capable of making her own decisions. Then I though okay, the shirt she is wearing is almost 6 years old, who cares if it has a few names on it. So I changed my answer to yes. There was another little girls behind us in line that also wanted this girl's autograph. She had listened to Ellie's plea and thought she'd make her own case to her mother. Except this girl asked her mother if the driver could sign her pants! It was followed by a very quick answer, no.
Ellie had a blast going around getting the driver's to sign her shirt. There was one driver who even let her sign his car! I had forgotten how much fun going to the races was. We will definitely have to let the rednecks out again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment